職場大補帖

職場英語:我們得要搶先完成

Mary: Is it true that one of our 1) competitors is planning to 2) launch their 3) tracking service next month?

瑪莉: 聽說我們有個競爭對手打算下個月推出監測流量的服務,這是真的還是假的?

 

Elvin: That would be “WebTracker”. We’re heard they’re almost ready. That’s why we have to finish first.

艾文: 你說的是“網路搜尋家”。聽說他們幾乎準備好了。所以我們得要搶先完成。

 

Mary: Or they’ll take over the market before we even get started.

瑪莉: 否則在我們還沒來得及開始之前,他們就會占去整個市場。

 

Elvin: Right. And that would be a total 4) giga-bummer.

艾文: 沒錯。到時就一敗塗地了。

 

Mary: I guess we’d better get back to work.

瑪莉: 我猜我們最好趕快回去工作吧

 

 

語言詳解

 

A: You have such a strange accent. Where are you from?

你的口音奇怪。你是哪裏人?

 

B: Take a guess.

猜猜看。

 

【take over 接掌、佔據】

 

take over 表達商務上或軍事上的“接掌、佔據”。

 

A: Once again, the military has taken over the African country.

又一次軍方接管了那個非洲國家。

B: Do you think that’ll interrupt your plan of taking over the market there?

你想這會干擾到你要掌控該地市場的計畫嗎?

A: Maybe and maybe not. I just have to wait and see.

或許會,或許不會。我只有等著瞧了。

 

 

1) competitor (n.) 競爭者

2) launch (v.) 事業登場,投入市場

3) tracking service 監控服務,此指“監控網站流量的服務”。

4) giga-bummer bummer是指“倒楣、不幸的遭遇”, giga這個“字首” 是指“十億”,意即“非常巨大,非常多”。